Results of a Survey of 500+ Consumers

DUBLIN, February 20, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — “UK Pet Insurance Consumer Research Report” has been added to the report. offer.

Research and Markets Logo

The UK Pet Insurance Consumer Research Report 2023 provides insights into consumer behavior and intentions. This report is based on responses from a UK national sample of 517 consumers who have some form of pet insurance and compares the most recent results with survey results from 2021 and 2019 where possible.

Pet ownership has increased over the past few years, fueling the growing demand for pet insurance. However, there are many pet owners, including those with cats and dogs, who still do not have any pet insurance, so there is room for growth. On the other hand, for many households, the current housing crisis, inflation and declining disposable income may limit market growth in the next year or two and reduce the coverage of some existing policyholders.

By nature, insured pet owners like to minimize their insurable risks by being well insured. This explains why whole life insurance, the most expensive insurance option, is the most popular among insured pet owners. This type of policy is owned by almost four in 10 policyholders in the 2023 survey.

The good news for existing pet insurance providers is that brand loyalty appears to be relatively strong, with a higher percentage of adults staying with their current insurer in this survey than in previous years. Also, fewer respondents in this survey say they will definitely switch to another insurer when the next renewal date comes around.

In the last 12 months, less than 1 out of every 5 policyholders filed a claim. The success rate of claims is relatively high – 68% of claims were fully successful and another 22% were partially successful, for a total of 90%.

More than half purchase pet insurance directly from an insurer. Outright purchases increase significantly for those 65 and older. Less than a third purchase through a price comparison site.

Key Topics Covered


  • Summary

  • More than a quarter of adults have pet insurance

  • Price policy is the main focus

  • Big brands are increasing their share

  • Brand loyalty is especially important for older adults

  • The probability of passing has fallen from previous surveys

  • Less than a third claimed in the last 5 years

  • More than half purchase pet insurance directly from an insurer

  • The results of high-income households differ from the survey average

  • Healthy market growth



  • More than a quarter of adults have pet insurance

  • Whole life policies get the biggest share

  • Like most other consumer insurance markets, policyholders are primarily concerned with price

  • Brand loyalty is important for older people



  • Most stayed with their existing insurance provider

  • There is a possibility of a limited transition next year

  • Direct purchase is still the option used by the majority


  • More than 17 million families have pets

  • Healthy market growth in 2022

  • Many insurance providers, but three big players lead the market

  • Rising pet ownership and veterinary costs are driving pet insurance sales

For more information on this report, visit

About is the world’s leading source for international market research reports and market information. We bring you the latest information on international and regional markets, key industries, top companies, new products and the latest trends.

Media contact:

Research and Markets
Laura WoodGeneral Manager
[email protected]

Call +1-917-300-0470 for EST Office Hours
Toll Free for US/CAN +1-800-526-8630
Call +353-1-416-8900 for GMT Office Hours

US Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside USA): +353-1-481-1716




See original content:

SOURCE Research and Markets

Leave a Comment